Sowing autumn flowering bulbs

• 2 Replies

Isabel

• Email
Sowing autumn flowering bulbs
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
Hello everybody, I have been collecting seed everywhere i can find it at Sparoza and am eager to sow it! i wonder what to do about the seed of the autumn-flowering bulbs such as Crocus goulimyi and Sternbergia sicula. By observing the life-cycle of the plants I see that they flower in autumn (obviously) and have mature seed by spring, at which point they drop it. The seed then sits (dormant?) in the ground until the rains come in autumn, at which point the seeds germinate and the more mature plants do their more mature doings. I take it that I should sow the seed in the autumn and water as I would any other seed. Or should I sow it now and leave it to nature? My intention is propagation. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Isabel
Isabel
Student Gardener at Sparoza

Trevor Australis

Re: Sowing autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:38:39 PM »
I would sow it at once and cover the soil surface with a layer of fine washed gravel to discourage ants etc. Water in heavily and leave it alone. I do this with all my seeds and keep the seed pans/ pots all together in a sheltered but brightly lit spot but with no direct sunlight. Make sure there is no risk posed by water dripping from overhead gutters etc. Wait patiently. Most seed raising folks I know keep seed pans/ pots for 3-4 yrs before deciding nothing is going to germinate. Don't forget to feed your babes once germination occurs. And remember that many bulbs will go right to the bottom of pots and will even grow out through drainage holes into gravel or dirt underneath if they get a chance. I stand all my seed pots on a piece of hard, bricked paving. Good Luck.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Isabel

• Email
Re: Sowing autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
Thanks Trevor, I will sow some now and save some for sowing in the autumn just as a fun experiment!
Isabel
Student Gardener at Sparoza