Portuguese tiles depicting a monocot

• 3 Replies

John

Portuguese tiles depicting a monocot
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
When we were at the conference in the Algarve which was a great success we visited the Estoi Palace. In a grotto under the steps was this depiction of what is obviously meant to be a monocot and someone suggested Scilla peruviana. I think that it is perhaps too stylised to really know though I wondered whether it could be a Crinum or a South African Amaryllid. Note that the presumed monocot flowers all have five segments!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Trevor Australis

Re: Portuguese tiles depicting a monocot
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:45 AM »
I took a close look at the tiles and the plant depicted on the wall panel. I think it may be an artist's reconstruction of something seen and half-remembered with the added influence of an early botanical drawing.

The flower looks something like Scadoxus membraceous but the leaves are wrong for that as the Scadoxus have marked peduncles and this plant doesn't have any.

The leaves bear a resemblance to those of the Sea Squill Scilla maritima? but the flowers are completely wrong.

Could it be a rather imprecise rendering of Scilla peruviana?

I'd suggest whatever it is the plant on the tiles was drawn from an illustration rather than real plant material.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:10:47 AM »
I thought at the time that it was a rather flighty representation of Scilla peruviana, bearing in mind the way that other tilework there had a very loose and romantic relationship to reality.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:18:37 AM »
I think it was the bracts that made it look like something totally different and presumably copied from another drawing. As I said the five parted flowers show the obvious artistic licence used.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:23:06 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.