Another Orobanche seen in Turkey IDd as O. anatolica

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
Another Orobanche seen in Turkey IDd as O. anatolica
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »
I saw a rather large Orobanche sp. when we were in Turkey last year (in Ernez, where we found a lot of wild Paeonia mascula), around 25 cm tall and rather solid looking, it was red-brown, hairy. Could anybody ID this one from the photo?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:13:42 AM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Another Orobanche seen in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »
Try Orobanche anatolica, which is hairy. That has red blotches or bumps inside the flower, just beyond the serrations of the lower lip - which I can convince myself I glimpse in your fine photo, Jorun!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Another Orobanche seen in Turkey
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
Thank you, Alisdair, I see the red stripes clearly and probably the red blotches as well when I enlarge the photo, so I believe that you are right. It's a pity the flowers were  not more open, it would have been easier to see those details.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.