Dividing Iris

• 4 Replies

Alice

Dividing Iris
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »
We have Iris germanica growing at the drip line of olive trees and Quercus ilex. The sources I have consulted say that the rhizomes should be lifted every 3-4 years and divided, otherwise flowering will be reduced. I don't really want to disturb the tree roots too much. Any advice?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

david glen

Re: Dividing Iris
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
Don't worry. Irises resist bombs and hatchets. Wait until you see the place gets a bit  crowded. Mine's roots  are quite visible and I can see when they need to be moved.

If yours are too crowded , then dig some of them up,  chop the rhyzomes vertically into their anatomically separate pieces ( an egg slicer is not the idea  here !) and transplant around  the same place and further afield . Finally you'll be throwing them away. They are the only plant that I don't care for in any way and they grow anywhere dry and neglected.

Start now before the rains. 
David Glen. MGS member

Alice

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
Thank you, David.
It was more the tree roots I was worried about but it is good to know that I can be quite ruthless with the Iris rhizomes.
I wonder if yours grow so well because you dislike them..?!
(Actually, it occurred to me that perhaps I misunderstood your "I don't care for" and that you meant instead that you don't give much attention to them.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:04:20 AM by Alice »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

david glen

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:55:25 PM »
Alice

You see how misunderstandings can cause a war?  I meant to say that I don't mollycoddle them. 

My irises were lifted from very shallow soil . They shouldn't affect your trees' roots. In fact I tore mine up by hand in summer, so there was barely any disturbance to what's below.

They are very tough  but I suppose they are best manhandled when dormant, so start movinĀ”g them now.

David
David Glen. MGS member

Alice

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »
Thanks David, I will.
We just got to Paros yesterday and everything is bone dry.