Gardening in a vacuum.

• 8 Replies

Daisy

Gardening in a vacuum.
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
One thing I notice particularly at this time of year when I am busy splitting plants, is how alone I am here, at this gardening lark.
None of my neighbours or friends have much interest in gardens at all.
Yes, my husband will come out when I call him to see a newly opened flower. Usually, with a "what now?" or "you made me smell that plant last year. I remember what it smelt like. I don't need to smell it again".
The people in my village, find it baffling that I prefer to grow flowers, rather than vegetables. They will accept cuttings, or young plants from me, with suspicion, but I never see the plants in their pots or gardens later. The only cuttings they are really happy to have, is pelargoniums.
When I have split plants before, I have tried advertising on the local ex-pat forums, that I have free plants to give away. The only time there was any interest, was when I had a couple of roses I couldn't use. Other than that. Nada!
So yesterday, I split my long, long, flowering Nepeta Walkers Low,  my majestic  Miscanthus Cosmopolitan and Morning Light and had to throw loads of them away.
That hurt. Throwing away these beautiful, healthy plants.
I can see the same thing happening, if all my seeds germinate and grow. No way can I fit them all in to my tiny garden, but there is no one to give them to. Although I will try.

I am so happy then, that I can come onto this forum and say, "Oh my narcissus are flowering now". Or "my new rose has started to bloom".
I know you will understand my excitement and joy and share it with me.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Gardening in a vacuum.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »
I can sympathise with you completely Daisy, I could almost have written that post myself!
Most of our Italian neighbours find it most strange that I only grow non edible plants although I have found one or two who do welcome offerings. Apart from that I seem to spend a lot of time potting up surplus things ready for our branch Plant Sale....then of course they have to be cared for for months on end. I do find it very hard to actually consign things to the compost heap however. I wish that I lived nearer to you so that we could exchange surplus plants :)
To give praise where it is due the vast majority of Italian "ortos" - vegetable gardens, are meticulously cared for and a joy to behold showing a love and pride equal to us "ornamental" gardeners.
I am sure that, like me, you find great pleasure in working in your beautiful garden and your 'photos are certainly much appreciated on the Forum so take heart and continue to share with us.  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »
I guess I am lucky, then, I have neighbours in Halkidiki who enjoy flowers, and have beautifully kept vegetable gardens as well. I have friends in the neighbourhood who have kept my plants alive for many years, looking after them and watering them when we are not there, and we are of course happy to do the same for them. If I see some nice flowers outside a house in the nearest village and ask them where they got that from, they may immediately dig some of them out to give me. They don’t know any scientific names, but some of them have shown me where to find specific wild plants, such as some orchids and tulips, because they know I am interested.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:14:11 AM »
Yes Jth you should consider yourself extremely lucky. My flatmates are very appreciative of a few of the plants on my balcony - Rosemary, Parsley and Basil! Zauschneria californica and Ixia viridiflora are just two from the list of obstacles to be negotiated before they can get at the aforementioned :-(

I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »
Daisy I've been seriously wondering it if would be possible for us to set up a cuttings exchange via the Forum. This time of year, when it's cold, well-wrapped cuttings might survive a trip through our doubtful post, or if it were something special we could use couriers. While the euro zone still exists and it's easy to pay each other across Europe for the postage via little packets of cash could take advange and exchange cuttings. I can also take snippngs at Sparoza of course.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 10:28:15 AM »
I have sent rooted cuttings to the UK from Italy on several occasions. Nearly all of them have gone on to grow healthily in my sister's greenhouse. However, post out of Italy is usually much quicker than post in. Once a parcel has left Italy it takes a couple of days to reach Leeds. A parcel from Leeds to Rome can take 10 days or more. That said, most of the plants sent to me have arrived in reasonable condition but find Roman summers a bit too much.

Each winter I bring some rooted plants back from the uk. They are cut down and placed in a plastic waste bin which fits snugly into a rucksack. They are often in there for a week or more as I travel from Leeds to other cities visiting friends. 10 out of 12 plants that I brought over this year are already sending up healthy new growth and I still have hope for the other 2.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Cuttings exchange
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 10:44:51 AM »
That's a really good idea, Fleur - and perhaps the MGS could use other mechanisms (website, journal etc) to publicise it.
Given David's experience of within-Italy post efficiency (as opposed to Italy to UK), it probably does need further investigation, country by country.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
It is so disappointing when our nearest and dearest don't share our enthusiasms, Daisy. But I add my name to the list of admirers of your garden.
I would never have thought of exchanging cuttings or rooted cuttings via the Forum. What a brilliant idea, Fleur!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:09 PM »
It is not all bad to have few admirers of our gardens. I enjoy the solitude as I potter about. Even my new cat, Casper, tends to find a sunny nest and ignores me. We get few garden visitors unless we deliberately invite people in to look at it. In fact, when the MGS conf visitors came it was so good to have so many keenly interested people here at one time. Other Open Garden days have more lookers than talkers.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.