Lachenalia confirmed as Lachenalia aloides by Fermi

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Lachenalia confirmed as Lachenalia aloides by Fermi
« on: May 24, 2016, 01:45:56 AM »
Or are there other orange flowered Lachenalia I should be considering? Many thanks in anticipation. (By the way, the ironing board isn't an example of art in the garden. It was  just waiting there until the local council came along to collect it and other items of rubbish too large to throw away in the rubbish skips.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:41:25 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Is this Lachenalia aloides?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:42:20 AM »
Hi David,
That what it looks like to me; it is a very variable species with the more commonest are called "tricolor" or "quadricolor" with yellow, red and green bands,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Is this Lachenalia aloides?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:47:37 AM »
Thanks Fermi. I also read that it is the most commonly cultivated species so that would point to L aloides too.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.