Phlomis growing rather atypically but confirmed by Oron as Phlomis fruticosa

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Is this just a strange shaped Phlomis fruticosa or perhaps Phlomis lanata? I am used to seeing fruticosa with upright stems and lots of whorls of flowers on each stem, The plant I photographed was in a low light position hemmed in between a tall school building and a row of street trees. It had very little direct sun, But it had grown into a straggly bush with twisted stems, There was only one flower head at the end of a stem. There were some seed heads and these were at the end of a stem and only one per stem. The leaves were more rounded than I am used to seeing and much more spaced out giving the bush a very open look. It was about 2 feet high. The stems were woody, hard and seemed rounded rather than square.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:19:48 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Phlomis for identification please.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »
David,
By the form, structure and hairyness of the leaves i would say P. fruticosa
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Phlomis for identification please.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
Thanks Oran. I must say I liked this plant much better than the bushier ones I see in the parks around here. I suppose that if my cuttings take I will have to starve it of direct sunshine to get the same effect.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.