Bomarea multiflora

• 3 Replies

Daisy

Bomarea multiflora
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
I planted a Bomarea multiflora this spring. It grew and flowered reasonably well, all through the earlier part of the summer.

In early August, it started to die back.
About thirty percent has died back now.
This is yet another plant that is new to me.
I understand they die back every year, but this seems a little early to me.
Is this normal?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Bomarea multiflora
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:35:46 AM »
You've nothing to worry about, Daisy - in fact quite the reverse! Bomareas including multiflora almost all come from high-altitude areas of the South and Central American tropics where they are used to high humidity. Bomarea multiflora stays in leaf (and even in flower) virtually all year in such conditions, and in the north island of New Zealand where it has a warm moist climate all year it's regarded as a troublesome weed, getting out of hand in gardens and strangling other plants. But your garden must be much less humid than that, and the dry summer air should keep it well in check. It will die back and rest probably until very early next spring.
We grow Bomarea salsilla, and find that dies back around the end of June or even earlier, shooting again in the late winter. It's really not happy in hot dry conditions - whereas your multiflora looks as if it's been revelling in the treatment you've given it.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:03:08 AM »
Thank-you Alisdair. That is good to know.
It probably liked the conditions, earlier this year. We had a damper and cooler spring, than is usual here in Crete. Lots of mildew on the roses and even Verbena bonariensis for a while.
Well, I can't promise it those conditions every year, but it is such a lusty plant, I am sure it will be fine.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
Bomare salsilla, from northern Chile, is the only Mediterranean climate species in the genus. All the others are winter dormant, a good number of species coming from the cloud forests of subtropical Andes.