Three cheers for the Forum

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Three cheers for the Forum
« on: May 04, 2012, 06:00:38 AM »
Last weekend I welcomed the husband of a member of the Forum whom I had offered some plants to via the Forum. He found a bed for the night to break his journey home and went on his way the next morning with a box full of goodies. How lovely to be able to arrange such things. I always have "spare" plants that I love to pass on. When weeding and finding volunteers I cannot bear to consign them to the compost and try to pot up as many as possible. I also love taking cuttings. So, if any other members travelling in Italy would like to get in touch perhaps further such visits can be arranged. Perhaps other members would be willing to to do this too? or even just offer visits to their gardens to exchange views and experiences?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Three cheers for the Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:52:22 AM »
Great to hear that the forum is working out so well in that sort of way, Carole!
And yes, a great idea to make it easier for people to use the forum to make contact with each other for exchanging plants etc, and for meeting like-minded people - or even being so generous with their spare bedrooms as you!
It is quite difficult to avoid the possibility of abuse, though: any sort of open register does run the risk that it could be exploited undesirably.
Certainly something for us to think about.
Remember that the Members' Noticeboard section already gives people a place to offer - or ask for - surplus plant material.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

Re: Three cheers for the Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »
I don't know why but 'volunteers' or seedlings (as I have always called them) from plants that I have planted are a rare commodity in my garden, except perhaps for Echium and Origanum.  I do however find lots of indigenous plants like Rhamnus alaternus and other unknown local plants which pop up and find their space here.  I do have lots of these unknowns that don't seem to flower when I am around of which I would love to know the name... My Salvias for instance never have seedlings which is a great disappointment, so I take cuttings.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar