Coleonema pulchellum

• 4 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Coleonema pulchellum
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:29:23 PM »
A friend has just sent me a photograph of this lovely sub-shrub in her garden. It is long flowering, drought resistant, has scented leaves, a lovely feel, and moves with the wind. There is a white version, C. album. I'm hoping to get cuttings later in the year if anyone is interested.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Re: Coleonema pulchellum
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:24:36 AM »
What a lovely plant - I particularly like the way the flowers nestle in those waving leaves. If you have cuttings to spare, I'd love to have one to try.
I garden and have a wholesale hardy cyclamen nursery in south east England. Also garden on the Mani peninsular in southern Greece and to a lesser extent in south-west France. Am an MGS and Cyclamen Society member, and have been involved with the journal for the latter for nigh on 20 years.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:41:14 AM »
Hi Fleur,
This is the ubiquitous "Diosma" of 1970's gardens in Australia! It's a very hardy South African shrub which survived for many years in our garden despite complete neglect and no artificial watering during summers.
It benefits from regular trimming to avoid it getting leggy. Crushing the foliage releases a spicy aroma which is quite pleasant. There is a golden foliage form which is the dreaded "golden Diosma" of landscapers of public spaces (which I always wanted to use as an underplanting for a blue spruce when I lived in a cooler climate) much over used which is why many people in Australia shun it.
It has its place in our gardens but tends still to be used too extensively because of the ease of propagation and its heat hardiness
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:37:08 PM by Fermi »
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

David Feix

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:50:04 AM »
These are also very popular here in California, but they don't survive our summers with no supplemental irrigation, and are wonderful textural contrasts to larger leafed shrubs, especially Leucadendrons, Leucospermums, etc. I particularly like the golden foliage, more compact cultivar in garden designs, and keep it sheared to 18" height indefinitely. Particularly nice with co.panions such as Beschornerias, Cotyledons, Erigeron moeheimii and Lavandulas.
David Feix Landscape Design
Berkeley, California, USA

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »
Thank you Fermi and David for giving your experience with this plant. It's known but uncommon in Greece so we have an opportunity to enjoy introducing it into our gardens.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece