Dogwood

• 4 Replies
Dogwood
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
Does anyone here plant dogwood? I have been planting Dogwood for many years now! It's been a huge success. Where did you plant Dogwood?

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Dogwood
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:43:47 AM »
Cornus mas is indigenous to the garrigue in France.  I have nevervgrown the more "exoctics" from north America.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:53:29 AM »
Cornus mas is also native in the northern mountains of Greece. In September the trees are heavily ladened with fruit which are picked to make jam and flavour the local spirit.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Trevor Australis

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 12:25:51 AM »
I grow a few with mixed success - the bushy sp. with colourful bark are more difficult to please but Cornus florida, C. x EDDIE'S WHITE WONDER and C. kousa ssp. chinensis do quite well and flower every year. C. capitata grows very well in nearby gardens and self-sows here and there. The fancy variegated - silver and gold - do not have the stamina to survive our long, hot, dry summers, even in very sheltered conditions. The extreme dryness of the air probably dehydrates the leaves to the point where the plant becomes exhausted.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 02:43:36 AM »
The Dogwood tree produces both flowers and berries, but neither is exactly what it seems to be, probably why the berries are edible only to birds and small creatures. These are not actually berries at all, they're drupes, which is similar to apricot or cherry. Dogwood bark had medicinal properties as a fever eliminator, and Dogwood wood is hard, almost like aluminum, or like metal. I started planting Dogwood because it resists abrasions well, and can be used to construct both structures and implements such as weaving shuttles and even golf clubs.

I'm a very experienced Dogwood planter. I can post some very helpful tips about it, if that's what you'd like!

I grow a few with mixed success - the bushy sp. with colourful bark are more difficult to please but Cornus florida, C. x EDDIE'S WHITE WONDER and C. kousa ssp. chinensis do quite well and flower every year. C. capitata grows very well in nearby gardens and self-sows here and there. The fancy variegated - silver and gold - do not have the stamina to survive our long, hot, dry summers, even in very sheltered conditions. The extreme dryness of the air probably dehydrates the leaves to the point where the plant becomes exhausted.

Very nice, Trevor!

If you use Dogwood for your walls in your house then paint it that would look weird and funny for sure. But it wouldn't smell too well either.