Plant confirmed by Alessandra as Plectranthus tomentosus

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant confirmed by Alessandra as Plectranthus tomentosus
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
I have had this plant for several years. It very quickly established itself from a very small cutting taken from a pot outside a petrol station. (Does this classify as theft :-\?) That specimen flowered every autumn until it was killed by the snow we had 2 years ago. Mine on the other hand refused to flower until this spring. It has "minty" smelling leaves and roots wherever the stems touch the ground. Is it Plectranthus tomentosum?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:49:56 PM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
Re: Second of a few requests for...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:48:24 AM »
Yes it is. Velvety and fleshy leaves, and a distinct Vick's vaporub smell when you crush them. 
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Second of a few requests for...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »
Thanks Alevin. One more ticked off my list of "not sures" :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.