Unknown succulent ID'd by Oron as Kalanchoe bracteata

• 10 Replies

Daisy

Unknown succulent ID'd by Oron as Kalanchoe bracteata
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:08:16 AM »
Does anyone know this succulent?
It has turned up in one of my pots. I like it, but would like to know it's ultimate height and width. Also, would it be happy in part day sun.
Thank-you.
Daisy :)

001 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

002 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:51:11 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Charithea

Re: Unknown succulent
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:32:29 AM »
Hello Daisy, I think your plant is a Kalanchoe orgyalis. It grows to about 30-60 cm in height. It likes the sun or partial shade. We have the copper colour variety.Charithea.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »
Hi,

I think Charithea is right. I have lots of succulents which have no name so I went to look at the collection in Rome Botanic Gardens and found Kalanchoe orgyalis there. The photo I took of that specimen is attached. I think that the current chain on "plant labelling" is especially relevant to cacti and succulents. I have so many that are unlabelled. I keep on saying that I will send photos for identification to the forum but there really are so many that I fear members  would be heard to say " Oh no, not David Dickinson and his succulents yet again!"
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
David, Don't worry about people tiring of ID photos! I think everyone always enjoys having a think about them. My worry though is that I don't know of anyone on the forum who is a real expert on cactuses and succulents. I'll put trying to persuade one or two to join us on my "to do" list - any suggestions, please!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »
I hope I'm not stepping on the moderators toes here, David, but personally I'd advise you to 'go for it'. Many of the contributors to the forum like nothing better than a challenge and possibly some of our Cactus & Succulent experts might be tempted to display their knowledge!
You beat me to it, Alisdair, I was just getting ready to post the above!
Mary Michaelides here in Cyprus is an MGS member and President of the Cyprus Cactus & Succulent Society. If we gang up on her we might be able to persuade her to involve her members in an identification parade!!!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Ganging up on Mary Michaelides sounds an excellent wheeze, John!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
I would suggest Kalanchoe bracteata. (Silver teaspoon) it has much smaller, silvery leaves then in K. orgyalis.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Unknown succulent ID'd by Oron as Kalanchoe bracteata
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
I wonder if the various non-copper "K. orgyalis" plants that are labelled as that are all really Kalanchoe bracteata?
Alisdair Aird

Daisy

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »
Thank-you all for your help.
There is no copper hue on the plant at all, so I think it must be Kalanchoe bracteata.
I have Googled it to find out how tall it grows, but various sites give varying heights, from 12 inches to 4 feet!
Does anyone know how tall it becomes?
It will determine where I put it.
I like it when new plants just turn up like this one did.  ;D
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »
Daisy, the ones we are growing in the propagation house are about 50 cm or more; the ones that grow outdoors are smaller and more compact in general.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

Daisy

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 03:56:35 PM »
Thank-you Alevin. Now I know where to plant it.