Art in the Garden

• 208 Replies

Hilary

Re: Art in the Garden
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2015, 07:07:35 AM »
I love your cyclamen plaques. They will brighten up the dull winter days.
What size are they?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2015, 03:03:06 PM »
Hi Hilary, I am glad you like my cyclamen. The size is 39cmx36cm. I am currently trying to make a table top for a friend. She likes Gaudi, I chose one of his window patterns. She will have the final say on colour combination.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »
I love your ceramics Charitea, maybe you could give a demonstration/short course at an AGM in the future? I'll come!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2015, 05:19:51 PM »
Charithea, going back to your mid-March message - Cindy's salvia is Salvia 'Anthony Parker'. (David Dickinson did mention this in the Salvia thread, so you may have seen it there by now... I'm using a very rainy day to catch up with all the interesting things that have been happening in the forum as I'm very behing with it all, I'm afraid)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Charithea

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2015, 05:44:37 AM »
Thank you Alisdair, I have also seen the new link gliaromi that you and David supplied. I still don't have an Anthony Parker but I won't give up. I bought £70 worth of seeds, £40 was just for salvias at the end of last year. On the salvia side I had great success with Salvia horminum. The seedling were big enough to put in the ground and they are thriving, two other salvias germinated but are extremely weak specimens. I have found that cuttings of salvias do really well here. Thanks to Fleur we have some flowering in our garden now.
 I looked at gliaromi site but they don't seem to post to Cyprus. I may be wrong as my Italian is still at the A level stage. We are going to England  at the end of July and I know a few nurseries in London and I intend to look for them there if not I shall beg friends in Italy to get them for me for October again thanks for all the hard work.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2015, 09:23:53 AM »
Hi Charithea,

I suppose this reply really belongs on the Salvia pages, mail order pages and a previous discussion on cutting exchanges all at the same time. Sorry to give you a headache Alisdair :-(

I have just looked up Salvia "Anthony Parker" on the Royal Horticultural Society plant finder and they only list one supplier in the UK. They do mail to Europe and there is no minimum order size. They don't have a website so you would have to call them.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/2184/Out-of-the-Common-Way/Nursery

When I was trying to get suppliers for Alisdair's list I asked a lot of Italian nurseries if they did overseas deliveries. Many of them said that they did in theory but they often had problems with Italian couriers unwilling to deliver across country borders.

There was some discussion on this forum about the feasibility of members having a cuttings exchange similar to Chantal's seed bank. I believe it could work. I have successfully sent rooted cuttings to my sisters in the UK. If you would like me to get some cuttings going, let me know. This may not be the time of year but I could try. If not, I could try again in Autumn. John J was looking for Cytisus battandieri. I have one small plant of that and, once it has got going, could try to get a couple of cuttings started.

I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
Hi David,
My wife (Charithea) says thanks for the info. We will be paying a visit to UK in July, staying with my sister in Derbyshire, so maybe we could get the nursery you mention to mail some to there and we'll pick them up then.
The offer of a C. battandieri cutting is much appreciated. I first came across it at Capel Manor College in Enfield, north London, several years ago. When it was in blossom I used to take a detour on the way to the car park just to pass by it, the scent was like opening a tin of Del Monte.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2015, 03:10:37 PM »
Going right back to the original posting in this thread we have a dog carved by nature. The sea at Ostia, just outside Rome, washed up this ready made fish (whale?). I think it is a species new to science. Can any latin experts come up with a suitable name? Perhaps that's one for you John. You might think that ready made art is a dream come true. But there are always doubts in the artist's mind. Which side should be visible, for example? As you can see from the pic of the, so far, unnamed fish swimming through a sea of a badly wilting Cassia corymbosa , I went for the paler side. Who knows which way he'll be swimming tomorrow? Hanging up on nylon thread as he is, he adds movement to the balcony as he bobs around in the breeze. Hope he is happy in his new home. He seems to be.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »
Thinking about an Italian name for the fish, the most obvious would have been "occhione legnosissimo" - literally the "extremely wooden big-eye". However, the Stone Curlew already has the name Occhione for good reason http://www.cattidecarlo.eu/Animali/Prove%20018.jpg . I need to think again ???

Pauline

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2015, 04:12:58 PM »
I realise that this is a bit of a personal quirk, but if I could afford it I'd really like some top-class lettering in the garden. And I know just the person I'd like to commission: Caroline Webb. She did this:

You can see more on her website: http://www.carolinewebblettering.com/

Such a pity to reserve inscriptions for tombstones, isn't it?

An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »
Funny you should mention that Pauline. I have printed out some poetry which I intend to cut into a stencil and then spray onto some old tiles that I have had around for far too long. The plan is to hang them around the balcony in various places. If the idea comes to fruition, of course.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
If his smile is anything to go by he is very happy David  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2015, 05:22:11 AM »
David, Have been out of contact for a while so only saw your fish yesterday. All I can come up with at short notice is Xylofagus psarii. I'll leave it to others to suggest a, very, rough translation!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2015, 10:30:12 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion which, I think, (with a little help from an etymology dictionary) literally reads "wood beech fish". I presume beech/beach was a deliberate pun  :)

John J

« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
Actually, David, I'm not sure I'm smart enough to have thought up that pun. It was meant to be closer to 'wood-eating fish'.