Hedging

• 29 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Hedging in Mallorca
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
Welcome Sam!

Some good posts here so far.

I agree with the idea of selecting individuals from the shrubs and trees already growing there, then encouraging them. In that respect, it might be tempting to remove or prune-back some of the ones you don't select, to make the 'hedge' more distinct as such. I would advise caution in doing so, as some of those other plants might be contributing to the microecology (climate, lighting and soil) that the 'selected' plants need or prefer.

Some other things to consider...

Yes - digging holes for plants in tough soil/rock can take an age, but fence posts also need holes.
However, if you do put in fencing or at least fence posts with straining wires, you might be able to cover a greater length of 'hedge' by using climbers. That is, one planting hole for a climber might provide the same hedge-worth as ten holes for shrubs. Which climbers? Well, Bougainvillea and Senecio angulatus come to mind - trying to choose plants that will look after themselves.

And you need the plants to be self-sufficient in terms of watering, because it is expensive in terms of irrigation piping and water to supply a long hedge. And it could be looked-upon as wasteful of water.

Whatever plants you choose, consider how they will 'fit' in the environment. With your large plot in at least a semi-wild setting, many cultivated plants could look out of place and could prove disruptive in the ecosystem. The Bougainvillea and Senecio I mentioned could be problematical in those respects. But at least the B. should not give problems from seedlings. Wild asparagus will form a dense if straggly hedge (at least it does here in Cyprus) (see topic here).

As well as selecting from plants already growing wild on-site, look at the wild plants slightly further afield. You might find, eg., figs (Ficus carica) growing wild and with their roots apparently in solid rock. Figs come easily from seed, and if you plant them small (suitably marked so you don't lose them), they stand a good chance of getting their tiny roots into the crevices and becoming self-sufficient and steady against winds - more-so than if you planted more mature ones. Obviously with small plants, you can buy more for the same money, they need much smaller planting holes, etc.

Where the rock is inhibitive to wild plants (let alone planted ones), consider dry stone walling.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:40:56 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Hedging in Mallorca
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »
Mike, in civilised, indebted countries fence-posts are put up by workmen who come with a generator and a drill! I'm afraid I doubt whether bouganvillea or Senecio angulatus could survive with so little soil, and as you go on to say, they would look out of place away from the house. In the small area I have with rock close to the surface I've added to the existing vegetation of thyme and Sarcopoterium using phlomis, sage, euphorbia, cistus etc, in other words the ordinary plants of the area. I managed to plant two Nettle trees (Celtis australis) where the soil was a little deeper but after 10 years they're stunted specimens, although still useful to cut the view of next door.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Hedging
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
So much helpful general information in the Hedging in Mallorca topic that I've merged it into the main Hedging topic.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »
What does Sam say?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
Fleur, re your
I'm afraid I doubt whether bouganvillea or Senecio angulatus could survive with so little soil
You may be right, especially as you have so much more experience of these plants than I do. I was making a supposition that tough growing conditions would calm these thugs down rather than kill them.
I think your planting Sarcopoterium, Phlomis, etc. is an excellent strategy. I would definitely include Pistacia as well - it never complains, colours in the autumn, responds well to pruning, is rock steady in the wind, and I presume the berries provide food for birds and other denizens of the scrubland.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:59:58 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »
Though Pistacia terebinthus is tough as old boots I find its growth too loose for it to be much us as hedging, especially as it's deciduous.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:19:14 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »
Welcome Sam and I am pleased to see that your plea for help has brought forth some good responses. It is always nice to know that this forum is for beginners as well as experts, I think I fall somewhere in between but the thing that unites us all I believe is enthusiasm and you seem to have plenty of that. I am not at all familiar with Mallorca but totally agree that to use native subjects is by far the best way to go together with experimenting, when time and money allows, with other things. Common Juniper seems to survive well here in Italy and various types of Pine seem able to get their roots down if planted small. The "wild" clematis such as vitalba do well in the seemingly most inhospitable conditions and a few well placed posts would encourage them to climb. Experimenting seems to be the name of the game and of course patience,planting small ensures that those things that do survive and cope with the conditions will go on to make stronger plants with roots able to sustain their top growth. Good luck with your adventure, it sounds very exciting!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 09:27:14 PM »
Greetings to every MGS reader!
I need to create some fencing around a little plot with olive trees, in Koropi, Greece. I will never have the time (or sufficient energy!) to build a hardscape fence, and I frankly don't trust any professional's work.
So I opted to build only the gate, and use a hedge of spiny plants as natural fence  8)
I am thinking of a mixed fence consisting of three (defence!) lines: Parkinsonia, Colletia, and Opuntia.
That could become a hell of a spiny obstacle... however, does it make much sense? All 3 are potentially invasive, but I frankly do not observe this problem in this region of the world  :-\

NB: Parkinsonia was the subject of a separate topic (http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=853.0).   
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 08:40:25 AM »
Joe, Opuntia can get horribly out of hand in Greece and is literally a pain to deal with (undeniably effective, though!).
Alisdair Aird

John J

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
I can echo Alisdair's comments. We are, quite literally in the process of removing a giant one from the top corner of our property. I'm just taking a break for a cup of tea that's why I'm here! ;) We have a skip to take it away and I'm not sure it's going to be big enough!!
Have you thought of trying Carissa macrocarpa?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »
I think that when Opuntia is regularly pruned it can look nice...but then again I'll need to destroy the rackets so that it won't progagate accidentally :-\

It's funny John you mention Carissa, it wouldn't usually occur to many of us. I've seen it grow to form a regular, tidy and dark shrub, 3-4 meters across. I am fond of it because its spines are discrete yet effective, and the fruits ("Natal Prunes" I think) are edible. Besides it would benefit a lot here from the light shade under the Parkinsonias.

Mmmm... I've spotted a few specimen with fruits around Glyfada. If you see someone fumbling in the bushes in front of DOY Glyfada, chances it is me!

Thank you John & Alisdair for your replies, and have a wonderful day. joe
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

Hilary

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 06:33:58 PM »
Pittosporum tobira grows very well here in Corinth with what looks like the minimum of care.
The ones growing in beds in the pavements are pruned drastically and always look green and healthy.
A friend of mine planted a line of them to make a hedge and they reached well over 2 meters tall before he decided to have them reduced in size.
And of course the perfume from the flowers is wonderful in the spring
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »
Photos, taken in November, of Pittosporum tobira hedges which are growing in the churchyard and  in beds down the side of a busy road.
 Apart from a regular pruning I don't think they get any other care
MGS member

Joanna Savage

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »
Hilary, good to see your photos. Is that the Acacia flowering and wrapped around the palm tree? It looks a bit like citrus.

Hilary

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
The tree is Acacia farnesiana
Here is a photo of it from across the road.
Shame about the car being in the way.
You can see more photos of the same tree if you search on this Forum
MGS member