Camera fogging?

• 3 Replies

Daisy

Camera fogging?
« on: July 06, 2012, 08:52:28 AM »
I am a point and click photographer. I am not at all technically minded. So if a photo goes wrong, I have absolutely no idea why.
Does anyone know what is happening here?

The third photo, was taken just a few seconds after the second.
I simply moved one step to the side.
Why is that one not fogged, whilst the previous one is?
Answers in words of one syllable please. ::) ::) ::)
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Camera fogging?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
I suspect that's sun on the lens, Daisy.
Same thing with the bottom-right quarter of the top photo.

Always something to watch out for.
In many cases, you can use one hand as a hood to prevent the problem. Rest the hand on the camera (not over sensors), fingers together (as if making a 'paddle') and angle it down until you see it in the viewfinder, then angle it back up a bit so it just disappears.
Without losing composition too much, you may also be able to adjust your position so something else casts a shadow on the front of your camera, eg. a tree trunk, telegraph pole.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:03:06 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:50:09 AM »
Thanks for that Mike. I understand.
And thanks for explaining it in simple language.
When it comes to technology, that is what I need! ??? ??? ??? ???
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 12:19:13 PM »
You're welcome, Daisy.

Two things to add:

- Fogging is much worse if the front of the lens is dirty (dust, fingerprints, smears...) - so it helps if you keep it clean (but be careful about cleaning; better to avoid contamination in the first place).

- It can be tricky to see if the front of the lens has the sun on it when you are composing a picture. But you can make a good and quick inference by looking at the back of the camera: if the sun is on the back, it probably won't be on the front!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England