Cyprus moths

• 1 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Cyprus moths
« on: October 24, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »
In England, where I grew up, I used to record butterflies and moths for the Institute of Terrestrial Ecology. Butterflies were (are) very well documented in books; moths less well so (at the time, in the 1970s). But I had the two volume's of 'South', so I could handle the macro moths. Micro-moths were much harder to identify, as were larvae of all moths (South had some drawings but only in black and white).

Fast forward to today, in Cyprus, and again, butterflies are well catered-for, thanks to Christodoulos Makris' 'Butterflies of Cyprus', 2003. But moths are a nightmare for me. I see so many and know so few :(

These days, we have the internet to help, but I still feel knowledge-poor when it comes to the moths of Cyprus.

I plan to post some photos here in the hope that:
- some folks can help me identify them (bearing in mind that many also occur outside Cyprus)
- others will find them interesting or beautiful (I will name the ones that I can)
As with many small things, their attraction may not be apparent unless one takes a close look.
I hope others will look and photograph and post here.
And I hope it all helps folks appreciate these gentle denizens of the countryside and adornments of our gardens a little bit more.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Charissa subtaurica [ID'd by Ian Barton / Kathleen Rosewarne]
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:06:56 PM »
Resting on a garden wall, Chrysochou, 24oct11.

Initially unknown, but ID suggested by Ian Barton / Kathleen Rosewarne, 23nov11. They comment: it is the only species of Charissa listed for Cyprus in Fauna Europaea, but we can't rule out Charissa mucidarius (which is polymorhic, as mentioned by Eduardo Marabuto - http://www.flickr.com/photos/mothguy/2338943553/)

I have added another photo, of what is probably the same species, though with slightly different markings.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:23:11 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England