Shrub IDd by Alessandra as Jatropha integerrima

• 7 Replies

Daisy

Shrub IDd by Alessandra as Jatropha integerrima
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »
I found this pretty little shrub in a local garden centre.
The people in the garden centre, didn't know what it's name is.
They also couldn't tell me what size it would grow to, what conditions it likes, or how long it may flower for.
In fact, they knew nothing about it at all.
I have looked in all my books but cannot find it.
Does anybody know it?
Daisy  ??? ???

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:08:29 PM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
Re: identification please
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:40:03 AM »
Looks like Jatropha integerrima.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »
Do you grow Jatropha integerrima at La Mortella, Alessandra? Coming from the Caribbean, presumably it's used to a pretty wet hot season. So I'd guess that it needs quite a bit of watering, and perhaps high humidity, to do well in mediterranean conditions? It seems to be much more popular in subtropical countries, and areas such as the South East states of the US, than in say the Med or California. Do you think it's worth a try in mediterranean conditions for people who are short of water?
It's certainly a striking plant. Worth knowing that although it can grow to quite a large shrub, or even a small tree, if happy, there is a dwarf cultivar, called I think 'Compacta'.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
Jatropha integrrima is very common in gardens down here,
it is quite a droght resistant plant, in sever cases it will loos  most of its folige but will continue flowering throgh most of the year.
It can grow even in higher and colder places in winter, such as Jerusalem as long as it is planted near a wall that protects it from the winds.
Take in considaration that all parts of the plant are toxic.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Daisy

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »
Thank-you all. That is such useful information, and so quick.
I am so glad that it flowers for a long time. In a tiny garden like mine, anything long flowering is invaluable.
I have planted it against a north eastern facing wall and will see how it goes.
Daisy :) :) :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

pamela

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:28:30 PM »
I grow  J. integerrima in the Costa Blanca.  Although its quite new, its doing very well.   I think its from the Euphorbia family
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »
Do you grow Jatropha integerrima at La Mortella, Alessandra? Coming from the Caribbean, presumably it's used to a pretty wet hot season. So I'd guess that it needs quite a bit of watering, and perhaps high humidity, to do well in mediterranean conditions?

Actually in the lower garden our conditions are not tipically mediterranean ,not only we water a lot to keep the tropical planting - and specially the tree ferns- going, but also the island enjoys a good moisture rate in all weathers expetc windy days; not for nothing it was known as "the green island" - it is still covered in woods.
Anyhow, Jatropha is in a pot on one of the terraces, and it gets plenty of water.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

Daisy

Re: Shrub IDd by Alessandra as Jatropha integerrima
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 08:46:45 AM »
I now have two Jatropha integerrima in pots. They are extremely happy and flower all through the spring, summer, autumn and into the first half of the winter. The trouble is that they have become large enough to grow over the neighbouring plants. I read somewhere, that they can be cut back really hard. Has anybody tried this? Do they sulk, or just get on with it in spring?
I presume that late winter/early spring would be the best time to do this. Any thoughts?
My two are now both about 2 metres high and wide.
Daisy :)

winter 2014 013 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr