What is this No 62? Now Solved!

• 17 Replies

John J

What is this No 62? Now Solved!
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:05:29 AM »
These seem to be experiencing a bit of a decline so how about this?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:36:45 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

Re: What is this No 62?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 04:10:33 PM »
John, one of your exotic beasts?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »
You obviously know me too well, Alice! Don't take things at face value, they may not always be what they seem.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:54:16 AM »
Looking at things from a different angle might prove to be fruitful.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:44:59 AM »
Think I understand the clues John - but -still no nearer knowing what to suggest!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:49:26 AM »
Our members in the western Mediterranean (as well as those even further west) might be more familiar with this if they look at it in the right way.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 10:36:34 AM »
Clematis tangutica ?
(or close relative)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »
Sorry, Mike, way off, though I can on a close look see the resemblance.

John J

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
I thought this would be a difficult one, one to get those little grey cells out of hibernation.
What have we established so far?
It's an exotic beast from the Western hemisphere.
Nothing should be taken at face value but everything should be closely scrutinised from all angles.

Jill S

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 10:36:09 AM »
How about 'Sugar Apple'? does it really taste of custard, or will this be the first year your's has fruited?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:28:15 AM by Jill S »
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

John J

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »
Actually, Jill, it's a very young tree and this is the first year it has had flowers so we're waiting to see if it holds any fruit. I'm a bit concerned because most of the websites I've looked at for info say they will only fruit if they are hand pollinated and there seems to be a very limited time frame for doing this.
The photo is upside down, hence the look from all angles. I also included the genus name in one of my answers if you look closely.

Jill S

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 09:43:44 PM »
John, have just looked up the rather complicated instructions for hand pollination, talk about awkward!! bet you wish you had some of the small beetles (or maybe not, considering the path introduced species often seem to take). Do let us know if you're successful, and what the fruit actually tastes like, it looks and sounds as if it should be really good
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

John J

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 06:23:56 AM »
Perhaps I should clarify that the subject is a flower of the Annona cherimola (Cherimoya or Custard Apple). Some sites record the spelling as Anona cherimolia. The original photo was posted upside down to increase the degree of difficulty of identification.

Trevor Australis

Re: What is this No 62? Now Solved!
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »
Posted upside-down? Sneaky. :D
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alice

Re: What is this No 62? Now Solved!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »
I worked out the upside-down clue but the rest was a mystery.
Well done, Jill!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.