unkn. scrambler [IDd by Oron as Rosa banksiae 'Alba Plena']

• 3 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
unkn. scrambler [IDd by Oron as Rosa banksiae 'Alba Plena']
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
This grows at a friends' place in western Cyprus; I have not seen it in flower.
It makes a big sprawling mound over 2m tall, and the  leaves are quite tough and glabrous.
It has no spines/ tendrils/holdfasts, but it still seems to scramble quite well.
The owners tell me it has white, scented flowers earlier in the year.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:51:55 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: unkn. scrambler, white scented flowers earlier in the year
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »
Mike,
Looks like Rosa banksiae 'Alba Plena'.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: unkn. scrambler [IDd by Oron as Rosa banksiae 'Alba Plena']
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »
Yes! - great - thanks.
That's supported by the absence of fruit and:
"The double flowered forms last the longest.  These plants are self-sterile and generally incompatible with most other garden roses ... so they seldom, if ever, produce hips." [http://gimcw.org/plants/Rosa.banksiae.cfm]
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

Re: unkn. scrambler [IDd by Oron as Rosa banksiae 'Alba Plena']
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
Excellent plant for growing over arches, etc as it has no thorns to get hooked up to. Mine is growing up and through a Melia tree. I also have R banksiae 'Lutea' with double yellow flowers but, unfortunately, no fragrance.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)