Leaf ID'd as loquat by Trevor Australis

• 9 Replies

SusanIbiza

• Email
Leaf ID'd as loquat by Trevor Australis
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:29:12 AM »
Would anyone identify this rather scrappy specimen for me please?  It is 2 meters high and has been smothered by other plants.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:31:16 AM by Alisdair »
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Plant identification
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
Suzan,
Any chance you can take a better photo?, and a general look of the plant as it is difficult to identify it from this photo. :-\
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »
 :-\ Hmmmmm? The leaves look something like a loquat. Is it a tree? Is it evergreen? Does it flower or fruit?
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:54:25 PM »
Hello Oron and Trevor. Many thanks for your assistance.  I googled Loquat tree and have to say Trevor I think that is what we have in our courtyard.  We  have removed the adjacent monster cactus from hell with the assistance of a man with a chainsaw and a big truck. It was easily 3 metres high and the same in circumference and hundreds of long sharp thorns.  Behind it all, shielded from sunlight was this tree.  Now, in SE Queensland which was home for us until last year, Loquat trees are attacked by fruit fly.  I don't know if this is the case in Ibiza.  We gave our tree a short "back and sides" last month and it is sprouting new leaves.  It has small green, immature fruit which I think we should remove.  Do you agree?  The plants in our garden have been sadly neglected for many years and I wonder if we should keep the loquat tree which is somewhat overshadowed by other plants or if we should remove it altogether and plant something else.  Thank you for your interest.  Susan
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

pamela

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:11:58 PM »
Susan,  I thought it was a Nispero.......  But why would you remove the fruit??? We have wonderful Nisperos (Loquats ) every year in May. They will turn orange soon!  They grow so well in the Costa Blanca. Our trees are always  loaded with huge succulent fruit but I have heard that in Mallorca they always looks spindly and dont fruit well. However I don't know about Ibiza.  You should really prune them for the best crop about July after fruiting. You must give them a try as they are, as well as an early fruiting tree, a simply  beautiful evergreen tree.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:36:55 PM »
Thanks Pamela for your interesting comments.  The tree is now getting a bit more sunlight with the changing season.  I will feed it and give it a bit of TLC and see what transpires.  I will leave the green fruit and see if it develops.  It is on the north facing side of the house and in deep shade for 4 months, so things should improve from now on.  Cheers Susan

pamela

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »
Susan
I should really be clearer about how we have been pruning our Nispero to date.  We cut off only the the old fruit stems. In fact they just snap off but be careful not to damage the new growth.  Then we prune for shape and any crossing etc branches. Shaping is important to keep the tree airy.  We have pruned a few of the top branches to keep it rounded but at the moment we dont do any really heavy pruning.  Do remember that they are quite shallow rooted for trees and any heavy horizontal branches because of our storms should be removed.  Some of trees on Mallorca develop a black spot on the leaf I dont know if its a fungus or not but we have never had it.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:42:01 PM by pamela »

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 01:51:20 PM »
Pamela, thanks very much for all your advice.  We notice it is sprouting new leaves since we gave it a trim three weeks ago.  It seems much happier now it is getting light and air around it.  I am looking forward to seeing it looking something resembling your lovely specimen in the months ahead.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
Does Nespoli/ Nespero have a translation other than loquat? tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

pamela

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 07:49:57 AM »
Trevor, I dont know of one but there is a very interesting page on Wikipedia under Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)