ID salvia please

• 5 Replies

pamela

ID salvia please
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »
I planted this Salvia 2 months ago from a cutting which I was given somewhere along the line. I have no idea what it is. It's flowering now.  Can anyone help please?
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: ID salvia please
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
Pamela
This is really odd, is the color true or does your camera change it?

I suspect it to be hybrid but need a better photo in order to see if flowers are hairy etc...
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alice

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:46:25 AM »
Are the buds whitish? Yes please, some clearer photos of the leaves, the flower and the shape of the inflorescence.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
Could it be Salvia shannoni?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

pamela

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 05:35:58 PM »
The flower is not hairy and very tiny. Each tiny bloom is 3cms.   It's is really very strange. I thought it might be S. chiapensis but the flower is not hairy. Then I thought it could be S. dorisiana or S. involucrate.  But on looking at web pictures I dont think it any of those.      John, I cant find a picture of S. shannoni.    Oron, it is the true colour. as sort of magenta pink I would say. Typical of winter flowering salvias.  Is it a Salvia at all??   I would like to solve this little problem!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:42:25 PM by pamela »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

John

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
I think the tube is too long for S. shannoni, so rule that out.                     
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.