Purple perennials ID'd as Ruellia brittoniana and Tulbaghia violacea

• 8 Replies

Kriticat

I picked up these beauties at a local garden centre, but they didn't know what they were or what they needed...
The one with green and white leaves is probably some sort of onion judging by the smell of the roots.
The one with the dark, almost purple leaves has no scent, they thought it might be a solanum at the garden centre, but it doesn't look like any that I can find
Very grateful for any info...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:24:05 AM by Alisdair »
20 years gardening on a handkerchief in London, now creating a much bigger plot in the south of Crete...much to learn

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Purple perennials
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »
Tulbaghia violacea. I can't see the variegated one very we'll, but there is also tulbaghia with white and pale green leaves. I haven't found it as vigorous as the plain one which can grow into big clumps.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:22:04 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Kriticat

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:26:29 AM »
Thanks Fleur, that's the second one sorted...googled it and it looks like Silver Lace. The first one is something completely different, I'll try to post a clearer picture -had to resize to upload and it's not very clear
20 years gardening on a handkerchief in London, now creating a much bigger plot in the south of Crete...much to learn

Miriam

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:55:46 AM »
The first one is Ruellia brittoniana 'Purple Showers'
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Kriticat

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:09:08 AM »
You are right Miriam, thank you so much - not sure how you managed to id it from such a lousy photo!
Having checked out its growing requirements I don't think it's going to be very happy in a Mediterranean garden, but it is lovely...I will give it a try

Hilary

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:19:04 AM »
My friend, who lives in Ancient Corinth, had a pot of this in June 2013.
Unfortunately I don't seem to have kept the photo of the whole plant, just let's say it was breathtaking
I rather think it had a daily dousing of water
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Kriticat

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:43:02 AM »
Oh my, that looks worth a regular watering, thanks for sharing the pic. It also says it can be invasive, but I've got a lot less pretty weeds so I'm happy to take the risk!

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:02:44 AM »
Hi All,

Yes, Ruellia brittonianadoes use a lot of water but it is well worth it. I grow it in pots on my balcony where it is easy to keep it well watered. It usually gets well cut back by our occasional cold winter nights in Rome but usually comes back in spring. Cuttings are easily rooted in water.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 05:00:46 AM »
There would appear to be some controversy about the name of this plant with claims that it was originally known as Ruellia simplex and so that should be its recognised title. Whatever the final decision is regarding its name we still find it an easy plant to grow in our garden with very little supplementary water. It does tend to spread itself around a bit but unwanted plants are easily removed.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)