What is this 57, a Christmas challenge - NOW SOLVED!

• 14 Replies

JTh

• Email
What is this 57, a Christmas challenge - NOW SOLVED!
« on: December 25, 2013, 03:24:01 PM »
I'm posting an image that may be too easy, but I hope it may stimulate your brain while digesting all the Christmas goodies. Merry Christmas to all of you.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:09:55 AM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

Re: What is this 57, a Christmas challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »
Not so easy, Jorun. Unless too much Christmas cheer has befuddled members' brains.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »
Don’t give up so easily, Alice, you will be surprised when you see the rest. And don’t forget it is Christmas.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Jill S

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 12:49:04 AM »
How about Reindeer Moss/Lichen ?
And Best Wishes for the New Year to all
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Alice

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 02:00:55 AM »
Lichen crossed my mind too, but I was not convinced.
Reindeer, of course, would make it seasonal.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
You are both wrong, Alice and Jill, I don't think reindeer lichen has ever been seen where this is commonly growing, I'm sure you have seen it almost every day in the Mediterranean.

Alice

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »
Punica granatum? (Wild guess).

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
That wasn't a wild guess at all, Alice, you are of course right, it's from a pomegranate which had just opened up and showing its jewels. I said this was an easy one, but I probably gave too many clues as well.

Alice

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
I would say it was a sly one, Jorun!
Anyway, it looks gorgeous.

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »
Yum! I just love pomegranates!   :)
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

Jill S

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 08:01:31 PM »
Knew I should know it, one of those really frustrating ones where the brain won't supply what the eye recognises.
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

JTh

• Email
Re: What is this 57, a Christmas challenge - NOW SOLVED!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:43 AM »
No wonder this one of my favourites: wonderful, coppery leaves in the spring, turning golden in the autumn, beautiful flowers and large numbers of gorgeous fruits. It has also turned out to be the definitely easiest, most undemanding bush/tree to grow in our garden in Greece. We get more fruit than we can eat, but the birds are helping us, they love it.

Alice

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »
I would agree with you, Jorun, that it is an easy plant for dry conditions. Our specimens do well where other fruit trees struggle or give disappointing results.
Have you noticed which birds eat the fruit?

JTh

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »
I have tried to identify the birds, but I have not managed to do so properly yet. They are small, greyish brown, could be warblers, which are normally mostly insectivores, but maybe they like pomegranates as well?

John J

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
I agree that pomegranates are easy to look after. We have 2 that are very much left to their own devices and I only take the secateurs to them when the guy from the Water Board complains that they get in his way when he's trying to read the meter. We get untreated dam water to irrigate our fruit trees and the inlet valve and meter are situated at the top of our field with the pomegranates next to them. We also share some of their fruit with birds, they often leave a completely empty shell hanging from the bush. Because of their position I haven't been able to identify the culprits either.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)