Japanese Quince (Chaenomeles)

• 13 Replies

Hilary

Japanese Quince (Chaenomeles)
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
I exchange flower photos with a friend of mine who lives in the UK.
Recently she sent me this.
Any ideas of what it is?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

Re: Japanese Quince (Chaenomeles)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »
Hilary, have you tried Chaenomeles?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »
I would agree with John. One of the Chaenomeles (Japanese quince) species/cultivars.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:44:41 AM »
Chaenomeles performs well in Italy growing steadily once established and tolerating summer heat and drought.
There are some interesting cultivars readily available too making it a good choice for an early flowering shrub.The flowers last for a long time opening in succession along the spiky and wide spreading branches and also last well when cut for the house. During the summer the leaves remain glossy and healthy unlike some early flowering subjects. Altogether to be recommended :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:24:14 AM »
John, Alice and Umbrian,
Many thanks for the identification.
The ones I see here in Greece grow in an upright fashion and the flowers are a lighter pink
MGS member

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:24:52 AM »
The ones I see here in Greece grow in an upright fashion and the flowers are a lighter pink

Hilary, infact, i have tried the red and white forms few times down here,
they have never last long,  i think they do not coop with hot dry climat.
The pink form is a rubust plant, slow grower but can reach 3m in height, it is a stunner!
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:01:25 AM »
One of my local nurseries in Rome has had the same plants (the red and the white varieties) in pots for many years and they survive the summer well. Suggests that it is not the heat but lack of water which might kill them?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »
In my gargen in Attica Japanese quince survives the drought but to no point since the plants look awful. Conversely planted in the middle of the road near me and watered really well there is a whole line of them which looks gorgeous every spring. They are red. Don't you find that the white flowers go horribly brown and ugly?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Hilary

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »
I found a couple of photos I took of Japonica in Sparta a few years ago.
The climate in Sparta is cooler and damper, or so it seems to me, than what we experience in Corinth
MGS member

Alice

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
They do really well in our garden in England, so I would be surprised if  they flourished in the drier parts of the Med. without a good deal of watering.
By the way, I have, in the past, made an interesting-tasting jelly from the fruit. Supposedly better after a few frosts.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
Yes Fleur, I agree with you - the white ones here in Rome are never a brilliant white and soon turn brown. There was at one time a stand of red ones in a small park nearby but they have all been ripped out. I don't know why. Did they not survive the summer or were they the victim of a change of mind on the part of the Rome parks department? A real pity because the red ones are truly beautiful at the end of winter.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
As regular readers of the Forum will know, I never water after the first year when establishing a new subject and so perhaps I just struck lucky with the siting of my Chaneomels that has grown steadily and healthily for many years and always rewards me with a magnificent display of flowers in the spring. You do see a lot of them around my area and I cannot believe they are all watered but then, Umbria is not really typically Mediterranean in climate although we do get long, hot summers during which, as I said, it continues to look good.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

anita

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »
It can't just be the heat and drought that kills the chaenomeles as they thrive in Adelaide, often surviving in abandoned gardens, and we are at the extreme end of Mediterranean climate. I've found that they do need to get a bit of support throught the first summer to allow them to get their roots down. On reflection it occurs to me that the 'survivors' are almost always the paler red cultivars, the clear red, the white and the delicate apple blossom shaded pink and white are usually seen gardens that receive some supplementary watering through summer.
Dry mediterranean climate, avg annual rainfall 530mm, little or no frost. Winter minimum 1C, summer max 45C

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 11:51:17 AM »
Glad to read your comments Alice. I am a firm believer in establishing a good root system and then seeing what happens ..... :)