The Cypriot

Ornithogalum
« on: September 25, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
Ornithogalum chionophilum, Cyprus

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Ornithogalum
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »
Thanks! It's a Cyprus endemic, isn't it?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
Is it common? Or local?

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:05 AM »
There are two endemic Ornithogalum in Cyprus:

O. chionophilum which is locally common, usually in more humid places above 750m and
O. pedicellare, a much slender species which is common in many parts of the island.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:44:44 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
Thanks, I am an Eurasian Ornithogalum fan. Sadly, we are not many.

John

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
Yes, some of them are even good garden plants. I have a collection of many from Crete but here is the common one I assume is O. umbellatum, a bit of a thug but nice. The second picture is of O. ponticum 'Sochi' which I bought from Janis Ruksans and is really great and long flowering.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:18:30 AM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »
Whilst in Catalonia. in the Sierra Montsia, we were taken to see a few choice plants and at this site there were the only two known bulbs of the presumed native Ornithogalum arabicum. They were really just past their best but this picture isn't too bad.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Ornithogalum prasinantherum
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »
Jorun's photo of Ornithogalum sibthorpii reminds me that last week when we were at our house in southern Greece Ornithogalum prasinantherum was flowering there. This Greek endemic is very similar to the widespread Mediterranean O. narbonense. It was described as a separate species in 1977, and in 1980 Flora Europaea (vol 5) agreed. However in 1984 the Flora of Turkey did not treat it as a separate species (it is said to occur in the East Aegean islands), and on those grounds Raf Govaerts recorded it as just a synonym in his World Checklist, and therefore also in Kew's new Plant List.
It could be argued that this view has been countered by the detailed study of the plant in Kit Tan's 2001 Endemic Plants of Greece: The Peloponnese, which was not referred to in the Checklist treatment. She treats O. prasinantherum as a valid species. The differences from O. narbonense are not exactly monumental, being confined mainly to the shape of the seed capsule, and to the colour of the anthers. Though in both plants the pollen itself is yellow, as its Greek-derived name implies, O. prasinantherum has green (or greenish-yellow) anthers. You can just about see this in the close-up second picture, below!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society