Hymenocallis probably H. acutifolia (but see below!)

• 5 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Hymenocallis probably H. acutifolia (but see below!)
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
Could the experts please confirm or otherwise that this is Hymenocallis acutifolia?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:12:21 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Hymenocallis
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 06:23:15 PM »
Yes, You're right, Fleur - lovely!
Growing in your garden?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 06:34:23 PM »
No, by Sally's front door. It produced plenty of seed which is still green. Any idea if it should be sown now or if the pods should be allowed to dry out?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
When the seeds are ready they will fall to the ground. Sow half buried in a well drained mix but do not water too much: the seed has enough water to produce a complete new bulb. In some species the new bulb will produce leaves at  once in others the bulb will remain dormant in the mix and only sprout the following spring.

Can not produce an ID from seeing the flowers alone. This is a complex genus with most species misnamed in the trade.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »
Fleur, Sorry about that, Alberto's right really. And I'm not "expert" like he is! But to put it another way, the flower of Sally's plant looks from the photo like what people who grow it in Europe call H. acutifolia - though as Alberto says they may be incorrect.   ???
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
Not quite that, only that it is a difficult genus. Species are good but the fact that material in the trade is misnamed adds to the general chaos. The following is relevant

Origin (of course)
foliage is petioled, lorate or linear?
foliage is greyish or dark fresh green
(habit) foliage is erect or curved?
Lastly, the flowers, that all look rather similar except for dimensions

I once mixed the labels of those species we grow and it was a real problem to reassign them.

Something similar happens with galanthi