Eucomis vandermerwei

• 4 Replies

Heinie

• Email
Eucomis vandermerwei
« on: May 29, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
This Eucomis vandermerwei is a dwarf species with purple spotted leaves and one of my favourite Eucomis.

Heinie
Cape Town, South Africa
poussion@telkomsa.net

John

Re: Eucomis vandermerwei
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:08:22 PM »
I have grown this species for a few years now and it is variable. The most common clone which is around in the UK is one called Eucomis vandermerwei 'Octopusoides' or 'Octopus' (1st picture) still not sure which is correct or even relevant! It has bold speckling on the leaves but then so does the species generally. I have another clone from Avon Bulbs which is definitely different and slightly less spotted. This species hybridises freely with other Eucomis and I have a number of hybrids but also selecting straight seedling shows some variation. The second picture is of one where the spots are joining up somewhat and there is quite a reddish base to the leaves.
I believe it is very localised in the wild and possibly threatened with extinction.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:26:10 PM »
I did a few crosses with this species and this is perhaps the best seedling out of about 20.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:19:02 AM »
This species does come from a summer-rainfall part of South Africa, growing and flowering in summer and going dormant and dry in winter, so would need special treatment in mediterranean climates.
The same is true for the much more commonly grown Eucomis comosa - which grows and self-seeds perfectly happily in our UK garden, but would be useless in our Greek one.
The only Eucomis species which should theoretically suit mediterranean climates is Eucomis regia, which does come from the winter-rainfall area of South Africa. A South African friend very kindly sent me some seed of this years ago, and I did plant out the single surviving bulb in an unwatered part of our Greek garden, but it died. In the wild it is found in relatively cool places, so I suspect that I killed it by putting it out in too hotly exposed a position, and if I ever have another chance I'll find a much more sheltered spot for it.
I wonder if anyone has hybridised Eucomis regia with any of the other species such as Eucomis vandermerwei, and if so whether any of the offspring are, like regia, winter-growing?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:49:31 PM »
I grew Eucomis regia from seed quite a few years ago now and it flowers regularly. It takes up quite a bit of room in a pot. It must be possible to control it's flowering but rather technical as it flowers in spring when the others are just thinking about growing.
John