Another What is it please! IDd as Acinos arvensis

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Another What is it please! IDd as Acinos arvensis
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:54:53 AM »
This little plant grows in the countryside around us but is very garden worthy flowering for weeks on end and, if trimmed after the first flush, will repeat flower very quickly. It seeds around and is quite delightful interspersed with Erigeron karvanskianus for example.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:32:29 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Another What is it please!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »
Carole
I have the impression it is not native to your area but can you take a clearer photo?
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »
Salvia sclarea?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:16:01 AM »
Daisy, i would think more of an Acinos but we need a better photo.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
Oron I am sure you are right and sorry about the photo! My skill with the camera seems to have deserted me at the moment - shall have to get Colin involved!!!! I had identified it as Acinos arvensis -"Basil Thyme" but when I mentioned this to somebody they doubted me because it does not smell like basil (nor thyme for that matter) and this rather made me doubt my identification made from "Mediterranean Wild Flowers" -Blamey and Grey Wilson - in which I don't think the illustration is particularly good. Thanks as always for coming to the rescue especially in my favour!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.