Yellow flowered tree, nr. Gialia, western Cyprus [IDd by Hans as Tipuana tipu]

• 31 Replies

John J

As a point of interest the old village water point is situated up against the whitewashed wall at the bottom of the photo just in front of the car windscreen. These taps and troughs were installed before the advent of piped domestic water while the island was a British Crown Colony, especially around the time of the accession to the throne of Queen Elizabeth II. This particular one is dated 1953. No doubt the young tree soon learned to benefit from the moisture that would undoubtedly be present in such a place. From my wife's and her elder sister's recollections the tree was not lopped but leaned due to the wind and just grew that way.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

Hi I have been trying to post some photos of the above mentiond tree but have been unsuccessful. The latest update. Having spoken to the tree owner this morning , it seems that the tree was never lopped but the stake that supported it broke and was not replaced. The wind shaped it to its own liking. It was planted in the early 1950's and was watered from the water point. Photo below. Apparently it has amazingly BiIG roots and it gets its water from the septic tank which keeps it fresh looking all year round except for 2 weeks in May when it looses its leaves and gets new ons. Charithea
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.