SOLVED: Guess what is this 15

• 9 Replies

John

SOLVED: Guess what is this 15
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »
A slightly weird looking creature.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:27:46 AM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Guess what is this 15
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »
Its a bulb............a red onion or shallot?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »
Yes to the first part. No to the identification.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Bulbissime

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
Tulip stolon ?

John

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:41:35 PM »
No not a tulip. The shape behind is relevant to the bulb!
John

Bulbissime

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »
Crinum ?

John

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 10:33:26 PM »
Hey yes it is. I could say which one but I think that's pushing it! It's C. moorei 'Album'. The large potato like object behind is the seed and the bulb emerges straight out of it and pushes into the ground.
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: SOLVED: Guess what is this 15
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
Let's have a picture of it in flower then, John!
Thanks very much for all these puzzles.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »
Ho dear that means I'll have to look for one as I wasn't that prepared!
John

John

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:58:47 AM »
Here's a picture against the sky on a bright bur overcast day. Much like the best of our summer weather until this week!
John