Herbaceous plant ID'd by David Dickinson and John J as Plumbago europaea

• 3 Replies

JTh

• Email
We made an excursion to Alexandroupolis the other day, and I saw I plant I have not been able to identify. It is herbaceous, growing in a very disorderly way with a mass of small stems with tiny leaves. The flowers were quite small as well, less than 1 cm in diameter, pink/purplish. Four petals, a long calyx sheathed by glandular sepals. The flowers seem to be clustered with five in each cluster. It was growing next to a dirt road surrounding an olive grove. Does anybody know this plant? I am afraid the photo is not so good, I had a lens on my camera that was totally unsuited for this purpose.

_A123778.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:09:26 PM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Dickinson

• Email
I am not a botanist but it looks like the Plumbago which grows here in Rome too.  It is sticky like Plumbago capensis flower heads which I grow in the garden.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Jorun, I'm inclined to agree with David. It looks like the Plumbago europaea that is also native to Cyprus.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
Thank you, David and John, for identifying this one, you are absolutely right. I have never seen it around here.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.