A yellow flowering shrub, ID'd by Oron as Euryops virgineus

• 9 Replies

ritamax

A yellow flowering shrub, ID'd by Oron as Euryops virgineus
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:32:07 AM »
I bought these bright yellow flowering small plants in early March, the flower was somewhat starlike and the branches soft and furry. In the second photo after two months they have grown a lot and the branches are already getting wooden in the bottom, but the green stays soft and furry. Do you know this plant! The garden center didn't know the name, they said it is "mimosa", so it must be some substitute to mimosa (no perfum as far as I remember).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:45:53 AM by Alisdair »
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

David Bracey

• Email
Re: A yellow flowering shrub, ID please!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »
Genista scoparius??
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

ritamax

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »
Thanks, David, but it is not a Genista, as the flowers are star-shaped and the branches soft and furry. Sorry, my photo is too small to recognize it.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
oo - teasing - can we have a close-up of the flower, please, ritamax?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Daisy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:55:50 AM »
It is hard to see from the photos.
Could it be a dwarf verbascum like Verbascum x Letitia?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »
 :-\ 
photo is too small...

The only thing i can say is that the plants you have bought were treated with Gibberllins [hormons]
in order to give it this compact, flowering aspect.
Trying to guess it might be Euryops virgineus, still we need a better photo here..
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

ritamax

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
Thank you, all, in spite of a very small photo (a close-up of a bigger photo, not enough pixels)! Oron, you are a genius, it is Euryops virgineus for sure! What is this hormone thing, how does it work? I bought the plants in a very small garden center-nursery, where they grow their own stuff, mostly pelargoniums and other small flowering plants. Of course I avoid buying things that are completely unlabelled, but the plants were really pretty, evergreen, and the shrub seems very healthy and drought-tolerant.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »
What is this hormone thing, how does it work? I

Rita,

Diffrent hormons are used in the mass production indestry of 'Flowering Pots'.
Main resons are, first in order to have a uniformity of all the plants which often are many thousands grown at the same time.
There are many shrubs that have nice flowers but are not showy enogh therefor they are given Gibbellines that make the plant become very compact which makes transportation easier as well as taking less space on a window seal for example.
Finaly another hormon in order to transform it to a super floriferous plant.
All this treatments of course are un natural and people buy these plants at the Supermarkets or garden centers not knowing that these plants are not sutible for growing  indoors.
If you plant them outside as you did the efect of the hormons stops after a few weeks , it is then that plants turn back to their normal habits. [As you can see in your first photo].
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:41:32 PM by oron peri »

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
Re: A yellow flowering shrub, ID'd by Oron as Euryops virgineus
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 08:22:49 AM »
Here is an example;

Lycianthes rantonnei [syn Solanum rantonetii]

First is natural, other two treated with hormons.

ritamax

Re: A yellow flowering shrub, ID'd by Oron as Euryops virgineus
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »
Oh yes, that is obvious and easy to see, when you know the plant!