Unknown plant IDd by Bolanthus and Oron as Brachychiton rupestris

• 9 Replies
Can someone ID this one for me please. I have it for 6 years and it is still only 65cm high.

Bolanthus

• Email
Re: Unknown plant,
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »
Could this be Brachychiton rupestris??
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Unknown plant,
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
Yes it is,
Brachychiton rupestris.

Michael,
Looks as if it needs to be transplanted to a bigger pot, if you will leave it in a small pot it will become a Bonsai...
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Re: Unknown plant IDd by Bolanthus and Oron as Brachychiton rupestris
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:50:02 PM »
Thanks Folks, didn't quite know what to do with it as I didn't know what it was. :) Will label and re-pot it immediately.

cheers.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »
Want a wonderfully weird tree, I think it would be great as a bonsai.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:07:32 AM »
Fleur, another to try as a bonsai would be your Koelreuteria. I had half a dozen left over from a 2006 seed sowing, neglected in a lean compost in little 7 cm pots. I really didn't want to throw them out but had no use for them so they lingered on, year after year - until yesterday when Helena finally made me get rid of them. By then they were no taller than the length of my index finger.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »
I can't grow bonsai any more but acting on your idea I can dig up a few seedlings to give to my English gardening relations to grow in pots. They're already doing very well with Judas trees.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Joanna Savage

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »
Here's an old postcard photo of a champion bottle tree growing near the PO in Roma Queensland.
These days the trees are treasured and nurseries propagate them. It was not always so. The leaves and internal pith made excellent drought fodder for sheep.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
And here's a much younger bottle tree (photo centre) growing in Anzac Square Brisbane. The coastal climate of Brisbane doesn't suit them so well, they are much happier in the dry inland 200-300 miles west of the coast.

I wish my photos were better and did justice to the magnificent trees.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »
What a magnificent plant, the first old chap is!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society