What is this (number unknown)?

• 15 Replies

John J

Re: What is this (number unknown)?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
Congratulations Jorun, Alice and Joanna, it is indeed Curcuma alismatifolia the Siam tulip. In the ginger family and related to turmeric, hence the 'spice' reference.
As I said I was very surprised to see them standing outside the shop, a quite large quantity actually for such a small shop in a small village. When I went in later to enquire I was told by the lady assistant that she didn't know their name but they came from Holland, they were bulbs and if I planted them they would make more next year, they were strong plants. Also they cost 22 euros. Nothing about the fact that they were tropical, needed to be kept moist and well fed during the growing period, were winter dormant and may rot if kept too wet then, etc, etc. Unfortunately an all too familiar occurence with so much plant material still being imported from Holland.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)