Snow

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Snow
« on: April 26, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »
Our strange weather continues. Some welcome rain fell at the weekend but temperatures dropped considerably and I was amazed to see that the highest Appenine peak in our area, Monte Nerone 1,525m, was again capped in snow. I was hoping to make a visit shortly to view the rich "snow melt" flowers that abound there but obviously that will have to wait a while yet.
Fortunately nothing suffered in my garden where many subjects are very advanced for the time of year.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 07:30:23 AM »
We even had a few flakes of snow at the weekend, here in south-east England!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Snow
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:24:29 AM »
Snow is not so rare in southern Norway in April. Luckily, I'm in northern Greece now, waking up to 7 degrees this morning and very strong wind was not so wonderful either. There was a cold spell around Christmas here (down to minus 5 degrees C) killing most of my potted plants, some of them I have had for around 20 years. Everybody around here have lost a lot of plants as well. Fortunately, most of those in the ground seem to have survived.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.