What is this 50 - NOW SOLVED

• 12 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
What is this 50 - NOW SOLVED
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »
Although I am not very good at identifying these I enjoy seeing them and thought I would have a go at posting one. Probably very easy for all you experts out there :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:24:26 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

Re: What is this 50
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »
Not being an expert I have no idea.
Unless there is a cryptic crossword clue in your post and it is the seed pod of an iris.
Since it  is years since i have seen an iris seedpod I wouldn't like to say.
Everyone else seems to be very quite on the subject
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »
I'm quiet because I have no idea at all.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:34:17 AM »
I thought the lack of responses was because it was too easy and the experts were holding back.......
I did not think it would be difficult to establish the identity of the plant .........
(No, not an Iris seed pod Hilary)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

pamela

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »
Carole ...Is it a member of the Liliaceae family?  Also, the seeds look awfully like Papaya seeds but not the rest.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  s _ _ _ _ _ _  ::)
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

pamela

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »
You are a terrible tease Oron!  Come on what is it??   I am so sure I have seen this somewhere but I just cannot place it.......!
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »
Good old Oron - you caught onto the cryptic clue in my response but have not given the game away!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »
Actually Oron, on reflection, I have realised you would not have needed any type of clue......am suffering from a heavy head cold at the moment :( sorry ;D

Alice

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 07:45:03 AM »
A very wild guess: Capparis spinosa?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
Not wild at all Alice  - spot on. I am the proud owner of some wonderful plants in the wall surrounding my new house - after many tries at establishing them without success I am enjoying them to the full  ;D

JTh

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 10:56:04 PM »
Well done, Alice, I didn't have a clue, and clever of you,  Carole.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 07:22:42 AM »
You should indeed be proud, Carole, for being so successful with caper plants. We have tried a number of times, only to have them disappear without a trace. I was pleased to see that one has survived the summer and we hope it will get going.
By the way, I would never have guessed what it was without Oron's prompt!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.