Lampranthus - autumn cuttings in bloom

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Lampranthus - autumn cuttings in bloom
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »
In October, I pruned my Lampranthus to tidy them up a bit.
...And to see how the prunings fared as cuttings.

I did this for both L. aureus and another one that produces pastel pink and mauve flowers (if anybody can identify it for me, that would be great).  I inserted them, without rooting powder, in a mix of lime grit, soil and a small amount of potting compost, in shallow terra cotta pots, left outside.

I am delighted to say that the cuttings all rooted well.
And now they are starting to flower. They are a bit sparse on foliage, but I expect that will improve once I plant them out.

Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Lampranthus - autumn cuttings in bloom
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
I've found Lampranthus easy to root but I've had difficulty with the little plants once they're planted out. They sit and ponder, sometimes for years, whether to spread or not. In the meantime they get swamped with weeds and sulk even more. They seem to prefer good soil which is hard luck in my garden.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Lampranthus - autumn cuttings in bloom
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
Useful observations, thanks Fleur
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England