Jurassic Dino Aloe paradisicum

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Jurassic Dino Aloe paradisicum
« on: September 19, 2015, 04:38:56 PM »
Yes, you did read the subject correctly. I saw the plant being sold off in a local store and I thought it wasn't bad for the price. Not being an expert I thought nothing more of the name Aloe paradisicum. On looking it up on the internet I found that the name doesn't exist and that others had sent in queries to other blogs and not come up with anything. The plant can be found at "edencollection"  http://www.smitkwekerijen.com/nl/products/green-plants/succulenten/aloe-paradisicum/ and there is a better picture here http://www.palmenmann.de/shop/de/Agaven/Aloe-paradisicum. Any ideas as to what it really is?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Jurassic Dino Aloe paradisicum
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »
David,
I'm not great on succulents but have you checked your plant against Aloe esculenta?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Jurassic Dino Aloe paradisicum
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion John. I have looked your plant up but, being no expert myself, have one doubt. The vast majority of the photos give the idea of a rosette and being low growing. I have attached 2 more recent photos of my plant and there is a definite stem and it is growing upwards. Which may mean nothing, of course. I wonder if it will flower for me this season? That might help us.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.