Styrax officinalis

• 9 Replies

John J

Styrax officinalis
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:56:26 AM »
A couple of years ago I bought 4 small Styrax from one of the Forestry Dept nurseries. This is the first of them to flower. Styrax is native to Cyprus and is widespread through much of the Mediterranean region. It's a deciduous shrub/small tree with fragrant flowers that grows from 0-1300m alt. I haven't seen it used much as an ornamental in Cyprus gardens which seems a shame.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

Re: Styrax officinalis
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »
What a delightful plant, John! Another little-known gem - and a native of the Med, too. Worth trying from seed perhaps.
In "Wild Flowers of the Mediterranean" by M. Blamey and C. Grey-Wilson its habitat is given as "open woodland, thickets, river margins". Do you find it requires shade/watering?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:59:42 PM »
Alice,
As I said I have 4 plants all sited in different areas of the garden, 2 in dry areas, where they get little or no water during the summer, and 2 that are on the fringes of irrigation for fruit trees. The latter 2 have grown a little more than the others but none of them get much water at all. They are also in full sun for large parts of the day.
They grow in a variety of habitats here in Cyprus as your reference suggests. From pre-desert scrub to cypress and pine forests with everything in between. The Forestry Dept propagate theirs from seed so if you can get hold of any it would be well worth trying.
It has been around a long time, seeds were found in the 4th century BC ruins of Salamis (now in the occupied north). Pliny (23-79 AD) mentions the styrax resin obtained from several regions; "...from Pisidia, Side, Cyprus and Cilicia, and that from Crete is rated lowest; that from Mount Amanus in Syria is valued by the medical profession, but even more by perfumers".
The fruit is a globose drupe, 1-1.5 cm across, and these were crushed and used to kill hair lice. The pulped fruit were also used as a narcotic agent to stun eels in the mountain streams so that they would be easier to catch.
So, you see as the old saying goes; 'it's not just a pretty face'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 01:23:27 PM »
Thanks, John, for the information and the interesting and amusing background - not just a pretty face, indeed!
Its drought-tolerance makes it an ideal candidate for a Cycladic garden. I am pretty sure I will not find a plant in the local nurseries but I noticed that Chantal has it on her MGS seed list.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »
Interesting info John.

Maybe it is just me, but this seems to be a good year for Styrax blossom.
Perhaps that's due to the colder winter - giving better initiation of flower buds.
For me, in the west of Cyprus, it tends to occur in slightly cooler spots - north facing and maybe with better access to natural water (springs below Akourdalia, eg.)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »
Mine are very young and this is the first year that they have flowered so I have no previous info to go on. Although the books say they occur from 0-1300m, I can't actually recall seeing many at lower altitudes in the wild, usually come across them in the forested areas higher up. So, as you suggest, they may prefer the cooler locations. Mine are doing ok so far in the heat but time will tell.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
There's a lovely older one at the MGS Garden in Sparoza, low altitude near Attica coast on mainland Greece, which is flowering beautifully at the moment.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »
See http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/sparoza-diary.html in April 2008 for more Styrax tales.
To agree with all the above, the Styrax at Sparoza has never bloomed so well and thrives without a drop of water. I've tried taking cuttings this year but it was too late I fear.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:31:02 AM »
Two of our larger bushes are full of flowers now following a winter in which we have had little or no rain to speak of falling on our property and very little on the island as a whole.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
After all these positive comments I am hoping to add a Styrax to my new garden. I take it that you are all talking about Styrax officinalis? ......in the RHS Encyclopaedia  of Plants  one variety - Styrax obassia is also referred to as 'Fragrant snowbell' , does this mean it has a stronger perfume I wonder?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.