Psidium guajava

• 4 Replies

John J

Psidium guajava
« on: October 24, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
We arrived back from Mallorca/Menorca just in time for the ripening of the fruit on the Guava. It is also an attractive tree in its own right with the peeling bark.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Psidium guajava
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
That certainly shows how very attractive the bark is. Do you make the jelly?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »
They don't last long enough for that Alisdair! I peel and eat them straight off the tree, it's usually a race between me and the birds!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »
Sounds like our grapes here in UK - this year I didn't get a single one....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Psidium guajava and Psidium cattleianum
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:21:36 PM »
More of John J's pictures of the guava, and of the related strawberry guava, can be seen by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird