small tree, Eleouthkia Park, Mandria [later IDd as Pithecellobium dulce by me]

• 3 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
I haven't got a clue with this one - don't recognize the leaves, flowers or fruit.
In Eleouthkia Park by Green Forest Nursery, Mandria, 9aug11.
It was the only specimen, which looked healthy; I feel its small stature (~4m tall) is normal.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:31:42 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

Re: small tree in Eleouthkia Park by Green Forest Nursery, Mandria, 9aug11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:28:18 AM »
Could it be of the genus Samanea? Mimosaceae.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:40:23 AM »
Thanks for the idea, John.
No. But it started me in the right direction - the Mimosoideae.
I thought it was a species of Abarema (from S. America).  A. cochliacarpos and cochleata are close, but the leaves and seed pods are not quite the right shape. Many Abarema were in Pithecellobium, and it seems 'my' one was one of the ones left in P.
I am fairly sure this is P. dulce.
http://blog.tourismthailand.org/EugeneTang/?p=622
Wikipedia:
- "native to Mexico, Central America, and northern South America. It is introduced and extensively naturalised in the Caribbean, Florida, Guam and Southeast Asia. It is considered an invasive species in Hawaii."
- "The generic name is derived from the Greek words πιθηκος (pithekos), meaning "ape" or "monkey," and ελλοβιον (ellobion), meaning "earring," which refers to the coiled shape of the seedpods."
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:10:17 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 08:45:51 AM »
Yes I think you are right with Pithecellobium dulce. I am somewhat out of my depth when it comes to tropical stuff and even subtropical but there are quite a lot of plants out there!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.