Juniper Berries

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Juniper Berries
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
My Junipers are covered with berries now and I would love to preserve some as I use them quite extensively when cooking. They give a particularly good flavour when used in casseroles with Hare, Rabbit and Pork. An attempt to harvest and keep some the other year ended with slightly mouldy berries and so I presume they were not mature/dry enough when picked. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Apologies to David on a slightly culinary question ;D
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Juniper Berries
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:01:23 AM »
Be patient, Carole! They will go mouldy if they are not yet fully ripe. Traditionally on the Italian hillsides (which used to be where the most highly prized and aromatic berries came from - now the best seem to come from Croatia) they weren't picked until the October holidays. And beware that the berries typically take three years to ripen, so just look out for those of the oldest year.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »
I use juniper  'berries' as well, Carol, they should be dark blue before you harvest them. Let them dry out completely before you put them in a jar (they may turn black, which is OK).
In Norway it takes two years before they are fully ripe, so you will see both blue and green 'berries' on the same branches, stay away from the green ones, unless you wish to make gin.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »
I used to harvest juniper berries from the wild in the Lot, France.  I`m afraid I never did store them but used them right in a cassrole with pork!!  Voila Umbrian.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.