Topazin 10 EC etc

• 5 Replies
Topazin 10 EC etc
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
Hi, I've searched for several hours on the internet for a database with English instructions for my Greek?Cypriot pesticide/ plantfood products. Dimeran 40 , I found on the Cypriot government website, but others seem very evasive, all I can get is the very basics. I'm looking for PDF translations of LYPHASE, Topazin 10EC etc.
Can anyone help please?
P.S. I know I can ask at the garden centres, but it's not exactly handy for where I live.

John J

Re: Topazin 10 EC etc
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
Sheila,
Lyphase is a glyphosate based systemic weed-killer. Application depends on where you want to use it and on what.
Topazin 10EC I don't know.
If you want to e-mail me we can discuss the problem and I can put you in touch with an outlet in Limassol that belongs to MGS member Dimitri Shukurouglou. The manager and staff are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
Dimeran 40 is an insecticide based on dimethoate.

I cannot find Topin.  It could be Topsin or Topaz.  These are trade names.  Both are fungicides.

If you google these names you will find a PDF list from Malta and Greek Depts of Health/Agriculture

http://www.viorylagro.gr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35&Itemid=53&lang=en
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
Dimethoate 40% has been judged safe as an insecticide by the EC.

Like David, I can't trace any insecticide called Topazin. Topazin is registered as a trade mark in the UK for a soothing lotion for horses!

Alisdair

Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »
Sheila, please look on the Topazin label and see if you can find the common name.

As I say it is probably a fungicide.  It could be based on carbendazim.

I would not rec dimethoate for garden use.  There are much better and safer products in spite of Alisdair`s comments ie pyrethrum or synthetic pyrethroids.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:56:32 AM »
As always, best to make up your own mind about dimethoate as a pesticide. There certainly is a risk to bees.
The most recent comprehensive review of safety/use is by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, which you can read by clicking here.
And Sheila, for the English-language instructions label for dimethoate 40, click here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society