Grasses

• 1 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Grasses
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »
We seem to have forgotten about grasses.   I love all the Pennisetums, their big obvious flowers create interest throughout the year, even in the winter.  I`v tried the blue Festuca glauca but it usually succumbed to the "weather".  There are many varieties to-day but I suspect they are all as good or bad as the original.  Miscanthus sinensis" Gracillimus" is a great plant for the back of the border; it will spread given the chance.  Stipa tenuifolia turns bright yellow and flows like water.

Two lawn grasses are Zoysia which has to be transplanted in the autumn.  This then creates a new problem dealing with the annual weeds which pop up before the grass covers over.  It grows in lumpy waves and would be very difficult to cut. Needs some water.  The other grass is Cynodon dactylon.  This is usually grown from rooted cuttings which you can prepare yourself simply by selecting plants in the wild and then growing them on in pots until ready for planting.  C dactylon responds to water and fertiliser.

Some grasses can be invasive so please check before planting ie Cortaderia 
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Grasses
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:19:18 PM »
There is a lot of helpful information about grasses elsewhere in the forum, mainly in the Perennials section, especially if you click here.
Alberto has also suggested Festuca ovina 'Glauca' and some Miscanthus cultivars for autumn/winter colour, and there's more Miscanthus information if you click here.
For many more interesting suggestions and thoughts, go to the HOME page - blue tab top left - and put grass in the Search box, top right there.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:22:24 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society