Opuntia ficus-indica

• 3 Replies

Hilary

Opuntia ficus-indica
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »
I am waiting for this to appear on the fruit of the day together with instructions on how to eat it.
They are for sale at one of the larger supermarkets here.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Opuntia ficus-indica
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 03:22:21 AM »
Here in Rome they are just peeled and eaten as if they were an apple or a pear. I would wear rubber gloves while peeling them as even the commercially sold ones often have some hair-like spines left on them which are terrible irritants if they get into your skin. Personally I don't like them much. Either bland or soapy tasting. Full of seeds too.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 05:41:49 AM »
Hilary, back in August 2012 I posted a series of photos on how to peel the fruit of the prickly pear. It's in the Miscellaneous section under Tools. If you write Opuntia ficus-indica in the Search box at the top right of the Home page it should come up.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Jill S

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »
And your advise was most gratefully (and successfully) received  ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:45:06 PM by Jill S »
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.