looking for plant name??

• 7 Replies

hampan

• Email
looking for plant name??
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
I bought a small plant at an MGS plant sale a few years ago and have lost the name.  It looks like a spider plant with thin spikey leaves coming out of the center and in early spring there are lovely pink flowers on the new spikes.  It is very prolific and can be divided multiple times.  Does this sound familiar?  Many thanks.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: looking for plant name??
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »
Any chance of a foto?
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:37 AM »
Sounds like Liriope muscari. Sally did have some in the nursery some time ago.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

hampan

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
I haven't sent a photo yet because without the flowers it just looks like a spider plant.  I looked up liriope muscari.  My early spring flowers are pink not purple or white and don't look at all like the grape hyacinth  mentioned in Wikipedia. I can't exactly remember what they look like but I think it's more like a baby spider plant coming out of the center on a spike and maybe shaped a bit like fuchsia.  I'll just have to wait till spring and take a picture to send in:)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »
If this isn't a Liriope muscari, see the photo below for what that looks like right now, perhaps it's Zephyranthes 'La Bufa Rosa'. Sally had pots of bulbs some time ago. It doesn't really match your description though as sometimes the flowers come up before the leaves, it only matches the pink bit.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

hampan

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:15:06 PM »
I have them all in pots - all because although I bought just one, I have divided them easily and have half a dozen.  They look like the picture of liriope, not like the pink flower Zephiranthes.  After the flowers bloom and die, the plant needs tending.  You can pull out easily (they don't need clipping) the brown spikes - the ones that held the flowers - and they all need this now.  Then they look as the photo of Liriope muscari you posted.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 05:27:51 AM »
It sounds to me like Billbergia nutans.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

hampan

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:34:22 AM »
That's it!  Thank you so much.  Where is it in Sparoza?