Season's greetings

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Season's greetings
« on: December 25, 2014, 08:01:48 AM »
Season's Greetings to all members of the Forum and successful gardening in a peaceful and happy 2015. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

Re: Season's greetings
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 08:38:19 AM »
To echo the previous posting, A Happy New Year to all readers of the Forum.
We had rain overnight and this morning the first flower on our Solandra was open to greet the New Year.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »
A Happy New Year to all.
John J, that Solandra looks so exotic. Positively tropical.
I don't have anything today that looks so exotic, but I do have something precocious.
These tulips were only planted a few weeks ago. In spite of repeatedly bashing them on their heads and telling them to get back down until February, they have continued to ignore me. One of the buds is just beginning to show colour this morning. I am hoping it won't open, until the strong winds we have been having lately, have eased.
Daisy :)

new year's day 003 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 11:28:49 PM »
I have seen quite a few Solandra maxima trees in bloom the last few days in the Gran Canaria as well, but that’s not the only one in flower here right now, there is a surprisingly large number of flowers to be seen, both wild and in the streets and gardens. Here are my greetings for the new year to all of you, and another tropical flower I have never seen before, the tropical hydrangea, Dombeya wallichii. The trees were several meters tall, with these huge, pendulous, pink pompoms. They are sweet-smelling and seem to be very popular with the bees.

_Z010469 Dombeya wallichii.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr

_Z310374 Dombeya wallichii.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.