Pittosporum tobira and P. truncatum IDd by Oron

• 10 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Pittosporum tobira and P. truncatum IDd by Oron
« on: May 08, 2012, 05:55:02 AM »
Could someone identify this shrub please, Pittosporum ? Bought several years ago with no label and doing really well despite the recent harsh winter.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:32:24 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Identification
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:12:22 AM »
Yes it is, Pittosprum tobira, an excellent plant for any purpose.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:41:10 AM »
Oron, can you sort this one out for me? The first photo is Pittosporum tobira, still in flower, but the second is of a different Pittosporum with points on the leaves which are not so glossy, an looser mode of growth and smaller flowers. It takes a long time to settle in but then grows taller than tobira. Any idea what it is? I bought it thinking it was the Nana (third photo)!
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
Fleur
It looks like P. truncatum.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
Many thanks, Oron.
I can recommend Pittosporum truncatum as a good multi-purpose shrub: always fresh green, no die-back at all in six years, sweetly scented flowers in spring, grows in sun and shade, no special watering needs, suitable for pruning, cold hardy.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:57:59 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

pamela

Re: Pittosporum tobira and P. truncatum IDd by Oron
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »
I heartily agree with Oron.  Pittosporum tobira is a wonderful plant and particularly here in our difficult CB terrain.  It survives dry ground, can be replanted easily, is always green and has the most delicious scent and is flowering now!  I don't know what you would think about P.tenuifolium and P.eugenoides which grow really well here.as well....They are both so beautiful with their black stems and silvery leaves , but then I am a little biased!
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
Hi! Now at last I can tell that this plant, which is common in Greece as hedge, is Pittosporum truncatum.
re. P. tobira: it is so commonplace in Athens where it's called "Angeliki" and it took me some time before I started to appreciate its qualities. The way its growth is so balanced, so much so that old specimen present round shapes like some fluffy clouds. Also the leaves foil when conditions are too dry, so it could be a truthful indicator of soil dryness in a garden.
Pittosporum tenuifolium... never saw this one :'(  it looks great too.
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »
A photo with P. truncatum growing up to 3m, dominating the landscape as hedge and screen. Entrance of a restaurant that shut down. As with so many businesses in Athens that shut down, it is unlikely that the plants that are left behind will survive the summer.
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:42:35 PM »
I bet that Pittosporum will survive, Joe: they seem to be pretty indestructible!
Let us know in the autumn....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:04:40 PM »
I am currently writing a report on the Cold damage caused this winter in the Languedoc and Provence regions.
 P. undulatum was severely damaged but will survive; both P.tenuifolia and P tobira variegata were killed. Details will appear when the report is ready.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

jmw

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
Two much planted Kiwis - P. eugenioides  is considered rather frost tender when young and probably a USDA Zone 9 in most cases. P tenuifolium is hardier but may not survive -12C, depending on provenance and site. Many cultivars are less hardy.
Jo Wakelin
Gardens in Central Otago, New Zealand, with  -12C to  37C, and 250 - 400mm annual rainfall. Mad keen on cold hardy, drought tolerant plants.Member RHS, lecturer Horticulture.