April 1st holiday

• 6 Replies

John J

April 1st holiday
« on: April 01, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »
1st April is a public holiday in Cyprus and so we thought we would give ourselves a break and take off somewhere for the day. We had read in the local English language newspaper that a small, hill village in the Paphos District had created a Community garden. The paper described it as 'beautiful' and as 'adding charm to this little village'. It had been officially opened on 20th March by a Member of Parliament. This sounded promising so off we went in search of this embryonic Garden of Eden. The village in question is one of those small hamlets that are slowly disappearing in the 21st century, from an average population of around 1,000 it now houses about 200.
Imagine our disappointment when we found that less than 2 weeks after its official opening we found the following. Is this a case of journalistic licence?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: April 1st holiday
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »
In order to get over our dismay at the above we dropped down to the coast and decided to reacquaint ourselves with the mosaics next to the harbour in Kato Paphos, and to see what wild flowers were growing among the ruins. See below. The last photo is, of course, not wild flower related but does have a horticultural connection. It depicts Dionysus revealing the secret of wine-making to Ikarius. The pair on the right are labelled as 'The first wine drinkers' but a more accurate description might be 'The first drunks'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
Oh dear, maybe they haven't planted anything yet
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »
I love the photos from Paphos
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
Well it is a start John and who knows what might happen? you must try to visit again and let us know.😳The
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 03:44:28 AM »
Well it is a start John and who knows what might happen? you must try to visit again and let us know.😳The
Perhaps the mulch has been blown away? ::)
They could at least cover up the poly-pipe when they get a chance,
It may be worth seeing after another 12 months,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »
I'm afraid that there was no mulch and the bits of green visible are mainly weeds. They planted 4 trees per plot, ringed the edges with roses and that was it.